Friday, November 29, 2013

The Wrappings

I'm not a Black Friday shopping kind of gal. But the day after Thanksgiving IS a signal to me that, you know, Christmas is on its way! And one little detail I like to include in my prep is some fabric gift bags.

My go-to bag for any season is Jeni/In Color Order's Lined Drawstring Bag. Daughter dear shared a photo of some of her Christmasy bags in a variety of sizes. Believe me, we've made them all.
Last Christmas, the Pillowcase Pouch from Ruby Star Wrapping was also a handy addition to my wrapping repertoire. I made all these, and even included a gusset on Mr. Polar Bear. (Never sewn a gusset? Check out Jeni's new tutorial - adaptable to any bag you make!)
I saw Amy/Diary of a Quilter added a pocket to the front of one of her pillowcase pouches. I love her addition of the pocket to hold a label!
Another handy gift bag is the Small Lined Drawstring Bag by Pam/Threading My Way. Isn't this one by Susanne/Quilt it out darling?
Dear Santa Draw String Bag
So do you make your own wrappings? If so, please share! Meanwhile, I've got to get busy!

Revised to add a link to Wrap it Up! at sew, mama, sew - lots more good gift bag ideas!

14 comments:

  1. These are great gift bags- almost too nice to give away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie! I've planned to make drawstring bags so I'm very happy to see these lovely ideas and links! Thanks! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes - I have made 4 drawstring bags so far and I make my own tags and wrapping paper :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/66503792@N06/11066699304/ I think the wrapping is the best bit of the prep!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made drawstring bags of various sizes five years ago and use them exclusively for the family gifts. they keep the gift, I keep the bag for next year. It makes wrapping so much easier and neater. I also made some specifically for a DVD, and some large ones for clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome idea! Love this, especially for family gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the round up of the patterns. I think I will make some but the trick is to match the bag to the person so that they will use it either for something else or at least to wrap again. Your bags are all so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have way more motivation for wrapping than I have Debbie. I'm lucky to get presents wrapped in nice looking gift wrap paper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are all so wonderful. I'd better get moving and make some, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely round-up, Debbie! That reminds me I best get going on some of my own. I love a fabric wrapped gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you've got Christmas in the bag... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like them all!!!! I really like the fabric on that last little bag. This year I'm making grocery/market bags. Pattern by Keyka Lou.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For the last few years I have wrapped close family gifts in fabric & ribbons... Then I gather them back up & put away for the following year.... This year I plan on turning the fabric into bags... I like the tradition of reusing the same things.... & this way they don't end up unappreciated..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your drawstring bags and pillowcase wraps.I will have to remember for next year..

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! Wrapping paper always makes such a huge mess.

    ReplyDelete