Sunday, November 25, 2012

An Early Christmas

Over the mountains and through the wheat fields to brother-in-law's house we went. Dark o'thirty the Saturday after Thanksgiving, we headed east to join hubby's family for our annual early Christmas gathering. Years ago we decided to go the gift-exchange route, so everyone brings a gift, then we draw numbers to decide who picks one first etc. etc.

This year I was so inclined to make my gift, not totally sure how it would go over, but feeling ok that IF I brought my own gift back home I'd be perfectly fine with it. I went really practical and dug into my stack of Brrr! fat quarters, making a couple of quilted potholders reminiscent of those I made my Mom for Mother's Day. Originally inspired by Jacquie of Tallgrass Prairie Studio, and still my favorite potholder 'pattern' y-seams and all, they measured about 10" when complete. And with a layer of both cotton batt and Insul-Bright, they'll be functional and study, as well as fun to use.
Of course, one of Jeni's drawstring bags was perfect to gift them in, showcasing the largest scale print in that cherry palette.
Gladly, my gift went over just fine, transferring hands several times, which is a gift-exchange compliment for sure.

Linking up with {sew} Mondern Monday and Fabric Tuesday.

25 comments:

  1. Fun!! You're too modest - of course people would want these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! Where did you get your ties for the bag?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely! And thankfully the recipient thought so too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie! gift-exchange sounds fun! Your presents are so beautiful! You have made the block so great, not vertical-horizontal, looks good and the bag is wonderful! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful gift! Wo wouldn't love to receive those ?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Brr! And practical (yet pretty) gifts for gift exchanges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pot holders and little bag! What great gifts :) I love functional pretty things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay so I finally bought that bag pattern this weekend because they are so cute, and your potholders are wonderful. Love the handy little grommet in the corners. Brrr! fabric is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Handmade is best : ) Anyone would be glad to receive these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely potholders and such fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are beautiful! I would have loved to receive them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yippee for you! That is certainly a nice compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those potholders and matchy bag - I would have been over the moon to be gifted these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your potholders and a good idea to make a matching pouch for them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a perfect gift, Debbie, and I love the matching pouch. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous idea for a gift and the matching pouch is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute, no wonder they were popular!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea for a gift exchange! I've been wondering what to do with some Brr! that I have...hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute! And oh so practical--wished they were mine--but I love the bird feeder, too. I think I'll try to make some of those pot holders for others for gifts--Nice idea--and I like practical! Fun time. Glad you all were there to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love brrr! and loving the red in the snow flakes....I wish I had some of that now. Looks fantastic as a contrast to the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful items for a gift exchange! We have one on my Mom's side of the family and it's always fun to see what everyone is "fighting" over and share lots of laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Definitely not surprising - those are adorable!

    ReplyDelete