Thursday, June 7, 2012

Zakka Along Week 10 :: Zip Organizer

"This just might be the cutest thing I ever made." Yup, that's what I told hubby last night just after I basted the front of the zip organizer to the back. That would be just before I tackled the 20" zip. Which is when I sat down in front of my computer screen with the post by Krista pulled up. I believe my next words were, "This is downright scary." I'm pretty sure I said, "Oh my gosh" at least a dozen times in the next half hour.
Trust me. Don't attempt this project without stopping by Spotted Stones and reading Krista's post a couple of times. And when she says, "You'll want [the zipper teeth] to be out of the way when you stitch on your binding. Otherwise they can get caught and you'll have to redo the corners." believe her. Believe me.
All in all this was pretty fun, and easy enough until the second zipper. Then things got a little frustrating. For me, the trickiest part was actually hand-stitching the binding down, especially in the corners. And I forgot to heed Krista's suggestion to sew a line of stitching above the first zip so things don't travel around to the front. But I did add tabs to the 7" zipper ends, which gives it a more finished look, and I bought some of the Wonder Clips she showed, and I'm definitely a fan. They certainly made it easier to sew all the layers together, and it was when I finally thought to use them again while hand-stitching the binding that things got easier.
The pattern for the zip organizer is by Masko Jefferson of Stitchin Sista, who has a couple of helpful pictures on flickr. There's great opportunity to use a fun combo of fabrics and colors. But do pay close attention to the errata Krista mentions. Even with the corrections marked in my book, I still had to recut and sew one set of pockets. This is definitely a pattern, for me anyway, where steps need to be followed slowly and carefully.
But all turned out just fine in the end! Proud - and relieved - once again. Seems to be the zakka way!

Linking up with LRstitchedshow off friday, and {sew} modern monday.

29 comments:

  1. That is adorable! And I love the pop from the bright, contrasting zipper. Perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful project.Love,love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fantastic! I'm glad you tackled it. And see, not so bad! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful Debbie. I knew it would be ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing - the fabrics, the colours, the zip - I am in awe! I'm stuck at the part where it says to cut a contrasting lining - huh!!??? I have an outer and an inner - but a lining? I have interfacing... Yay for you - it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely gorgeous! great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love the final product! I think the fabrics are great! You're scaring me a little about this project--I'm not sure I'm woman enough for the 20-inch zip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks beautiful! Good for you for persevering, because it looks like it was well worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you worked through it! The results are worth it, no question!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A+ for persistence!! It looks great! I hope you enjoy using it. I love mine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great! Good job for sticking with it and not throwing it across the room =D

    I'm having a giveaway on my blog. Feel free to stop by and enter (if you haven't already) =D
    http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/official-150th-post-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice, and it looks great all done. I may or may not get to one of these this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has turned out so well Debbie - I love the fabrics you have used. I haven't been game to try this yet as I am a bit "zipper challenged".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kudos to you for hanging in there and finishing it up. It looks great! I can see why the binding would be tricky with the zipper where it is. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to stick it out Debbie. One zipper would be enough,... but two? I would be looking for the velcro instead :D
    It turned out great (love the blue zip), and I'm checking out those Wonder Clips.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it and well done. I sewed the binding on using the zipper foot and from the inside so that i could keep the zip out of the way. This worked out just fine for me. I also used a heavier interfacing but cut it 1/4" smaller than pattern to reduce the bulk. It was by far, the trickiest project so far. So very well done you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it and well done. I sewed the binding on using the zipper foot and from the inside so that i could keep the zip out of the way. This worked out just fine for me. I also used a heavier interfacing but cut it 1/4" smaller than pattern to reduce the bulk. It was by far, the trickiest project so far. So very well done you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! That looks fantastic organizer! You have done great job with the zippers! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  19. SO gorgeous! Love all the fabrics together, and it looks so professional! I may have to do this one out of order...running out of time this week, and it doesn't sound like a quick thing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It turned out so pretty, Debbie! I'm still working on mine. I agree, without Krista's helpful pictures, I wouldn't have been able to figure out the sewing of the large zipper.
    Now comes the binding part ... I already tried twice, but didn't look good. So, I'll have another try today, cutting the binding at 45' this time. Hope that stretching helps a bit ...
    Luckily the next projects to come are a bit more relaxing (o:

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love it so much! that zipper is perfect against the lighter fabrics! xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. You conquered it, Debbie! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Turned out great, what a nice little organizer!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it's fabulous. I love the fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay! Loved seeing it in action today!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your organizer looks great! I've been thinking about whether I want to make one of these or not... They look so cute~

    I do love those Wonder Clips! I have about 20 of them and find them very helpful. That Amazon price is an awesome price for them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Here's a good link to the errata page for book: thishttp://www.ct-publishing.com/errata/10824.cfm
    This project has a lot of edits from the original book (like the one I have!)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Here's a good link to the errata page for Zakka Style: http://www.ct-publishing.com/errata/10824.cfm
    This project has several cutting edits from what was in my book. Newer editions are probably fine.

    ReplyDelete